- Problematic text parallels can be found in the following chapters (state of analysis: 13.03.2014):
- 1. INTRODUCTION
- 2. MATERIALS
- 2.1 Animals (p. 15): page 15 – [completely]
- 3. METHODS
- 3.2.3 Isolation of total RNA (p. 37-39): pages 37, 38, 39 – [completely]
- 3.2.4 Northern blot analysis (p. 39 [beginning]): page 39 – [completely]
- 3.3 Biochemical methods
- 3.3.2 Western blot analysis
- Fragment 081 01, Fragment 074 02: Substantial unattributed text parallels in the discussion section of the thesis.
- Fragment 003 03: The first lines of the thesis have been taken from a source that is mentioned nowhere in the thesis. The copy is verbatim and there is indication that it has been produced via copy & paste.
- At times the copied text is adapted to the topic of the thesis (roughly: the effect of radiation on the rat liver), which brings up the question whether the copied text is still valid after that adaptation:
- At times the meaning of the copied text is very different to the original text:
- Two dissertations submitted at the same department have been used as source for substantial text borrowings, predominantly but not only for the methods and materials sections: Zibrova (2004), Sheikh (2006)
- The paper Luo et al. (2005) is listed twice in the bibliography.
- Currently there are 45 reviewed fragments documented that are considered to be violations of citation rules. For 36 of them there is no reference given to the source used („Verschleierungen“ and „Komplettplagiate“). For 9 fragments the source is given, but the extent of the used text is not made clear („Bauernopfer“).
- The publication has 81 pages that have been analyzed. On a total of 29 of these pages violations of citation rules have been documented. This represents a percentage of 35.8%. The 81 analyzed pages break down with respect to the amount of text parallels encountered as follows:
- From these statistics an extrapolation of the amount of text of the publication under investigation that has been documented as problematic can be estimated (conservatively) as about 19% of the main part of the publication.
- In all, text was taken from 17 sources.
The following chart illustrates the amount and the distribution of the text parallel findings. The colours show the type of plagiarism diagnosed:
- grau="Komplettplagiat" (copy & paste): the source of the text parallel is not given, the copy is verbatim.
- rot="Verschleierung" (disguised plagiarism): the source of the text parallel is not given, the copied text will be somewhat modified.
- gelb="Bauernopfer" (pawn sacrifice): the source of the text parallel is mentioned, but the extent and/or the closeness of the copy to the source is not made clear by the reference.