Memon. Larsen, Hicks, Harkiolakis (2008). Detecting Hidden Hierarchy in Terrorist Networks: Some Case Studies, in C.C. Yang et al. (Eds.): ISI 2008 Workshops, LNCS 5075, pp. 477–489, 2008. Springer Berlin Heidelberg
For a detailed documentation see Nm6.
Fragments from the documentation of suspected plagiarism found in the thesis of Nasrullah Memon are listed below if they also show parallels to Memon's publication given above. In order to see exactly what parallel exists between the source text of the fragment and the publication, one can follow these steps:
- Open the online text comparison tool
- Copy the full text of the publication into the right box of the tool
- Click on a fragment listed below and copy the source text (right hand side of the fragment) into the left box of the tool
- Press "Texte vergleichen", text parallels between Memon's publication and the source text are now marked in colour.
|Fragment dissertation||Page Publication||Comments||Source|
|033 15||p.485: 13ff||First half of the fragment is almost identical to text in publication||Ressler 2006|
|091 21||p.485: 20ff||Text almost identical||Ressler 2006|
|100 24||p.478-479||Stephenson & Zelen 1989|
|101 20||p.479: 13ff||Text identical||Koschuetzki et al. 2005|
|138 12||p.480||Freeman 1980|
|139 11||p.481||Freeman 1980|
|140 01||p.481||Freeman 1980|
|146 03||p.477: 18ff||Apart from one sentence, the text in the thesis is almost identical to the text in the publication. In the publication the source is given, but the literal quote is not marked as such.||Penzar & Srbljinović 2005|
|146 20||p.477: 32ff||Text identical||Combating Terrorism Center 2006|
|147 01||p.477: 34ff||Text almost identical||Combating Terrorism Center 2006|
|147 18||p.478: 13ff||Text almost identical||Yang et al. 2005|
|174 02||p.482: 11ff||Text almost identical: in the publication, the source is given via a footnote on the section title, but quotation marks for the verbatim copy are missing.||Wikipedia (Bojinka plot) 2006|
The fragments listed in the table above can all be found in Nm's thesis. However, there are additional findings of plagiarism in this publication that go beyond Nm's thesis:
- Wikipedia 2004 Madrid train bombings: a paragraph in the publication (p. 483-484) is taken from here. The source is given, but quotation marks are missing.
- Wikipedia 7 July 2005 London bombings: a paragraph in the publication (p. 484-485) is taken from here. The source is given, but quotation marks are missing.
- Further text parallels with: Saxena et al. 2004, Zhao et al. 2006 and Jacobides 2006