A critical discussion of the publication by Nasrullah Memon and Henrik Legind Larsen: Structural Analysis and Mathematical Methods for Destabilizing Terrorist Networks Using Investigative Data Mining
Second International Conference, ADMA 2006, Xi’an, China, August 14-16, 2006 Proceedings
The analysis presented here (as of 30 January, 2014), including all documented findings of plagiarism, is available for →download.
The pages 1037-1047 of the paper have been analyzed. Page 1048 contains only part of the bibliography and has been excluded:
Clicking on the respective page number in the table above leads to the documentation of the text parallels on the corresponding page.
Pages in light grey contain no documented plagiarism. On pages coloured in dark blue between 0% and 50% of the text is plagiarized, on pages coloured in dark red between 50% and 75% of the text is plagiarized and on pages coloured in light red more than 75% of the text is plagiarized.
The following chart illustrates the amount and the distribution of the findings of text parallels. The colours show the type of plagiarism diagnosed:
- grau="Komplettplagiat": the source of the text parallel is not given, the copy is verbatim.
- rot="Verschleierung": the source of the text parallel is not given, the copied text will be somewhat modified.
- gelb="Bauernopfer": the source of the text parallel is mentioned, but the extent and/or closeness of the copying is not made clear by the reference.
Prominent findings of plagiarism
- Fragment 1040 13: About half a page has been copied verbatim from a source that is nowhere mentioned in the paper.
- Fragment 1039 02: Not only are two paragraphs copied verbatim from an unnamed source, but the authors also quote one of their own papers for it. There the text cannot be found, however.
- Fragment 1038 01: Two paragraphs are taken verbatim from an unnamed source, also all six references to the literature are taken from there.
- Currently there are 12 reviewed fragments documented that are considered to be violations of citation rules. For 10 of them there is no reference given to the source used („Verschleierungen“ and „Komplettplagiate“). For 2 fragments the source is given, but the extent of the used text is not made clear („Bauernopfer“).
- The publication has 11 pages that have been analyzed. On a total of 8 of these pages violations of citation rules have been documented. This represents a percentage of 72.7%. The 11 analyzed pages break down with respect to the amount of text parallels encountered as follows:
- From these statistics an extrapolation of the amount of text of the publication under investigation that has been documented as problematic can be estimated (conservatively) as about 28% of the main part of the publication.
- In all, text was taken from 7 sources.
Some of the text of the paper has been presented by the authors previously:
- A part of the abstract as well as large parts of section 4.2 and 4.3 (p.1037: abstract; p.1044: 3-22; p.1045: 1-22, 30-42; p.1046: 1-2, 21-26; p.1047: 1-8) can also be found in Memon & Larsen (2006b) (May 2006)
- A part of the section 4.3 as well the last part of the conclusion (p.1045: 33-44; p.1046: 1-2, 21-26; p.1047: 1-9, 28-33) can also be found in Memon & Larsen (2006c) (retracted) (April 2006)
- Significant parts of the introduction, section 4 and the conclusion (p.1037:8-12; p.1038: 1-16; p.1041: all; p.1042: 1-6; p.1044: 3-22; p.1045: 1-22, 30-42; p.1046: 1-2, 21-26; p.1047: 1-8, 28-33) can also be found in Memon & Larsen (2006d) (June 2006)
Some of the text of the paper has been recycled by the authors afterwards:
- Text from all parts of the paper (p.1038: 11-18; p.1039: 41-43; p.1040: 1-11; p.1044: 5-14; p.1045: 8-18; p.1047: 1-4, 28-33) can also be found in Memon & Larsen (2007a)
- A part of section 3 (p.1039: 41-43; p.1040: 1-11) can also be found in Memon et al. (2007b), Memon et al. (2007c) (retracted) and Memon et al. (2008d) as well as in several subsequent publications in a slightly adapted form.
- A part of the introduction and the entire section 4.1 (p.1037: 8-12; p 1038: 1-2, 5-18; pp.1041-1043: all; p,1044: 1-2) can also be found in Memon et al. (2007d) (retracted)
- Most of section 2 and some other text (p.1039: 9-35; p.1045: 11-18) can also be found in Memon et al. (2007e) (retracted). Similarily in Memon et al. (2008a)
- Fragments showing plagiarism (12)
- All Sources (7)
- All Wiki-pages related to this documentation
- The extensive documentation of N. Memon's PhD thesis including an overview of all his terrorism-related publications up to 2011.
- Nm2, Nm4: The documentation of plagiarism in other papers of the authors.
- Press and Blog mentions related to this case
- General Press listings related to VroniPlag Wiki and its cases
- In the VroniPlag Wiki Chat questions are answered regarding this case and regarding the wiki in general. Please introduce yourself, at times you may have to keep the chat open and wait a while until someone answers, generally evenings German time (UTC +1).